Will The Winter Snowmelt Get To Your Basement?
Typically, one doesn’t think of floods in the middle of winter, but they do exist and happen more than you think. Snowmelt flooding happens when there is a quick change in temperature change. The temperature change can cause snow to melt and could potentially flood your Birmingham & Troy, MI basement. Basement flooding during the winter is mostly caused by melting snow entering the home because of faulty gutters, cracks in foundations and improper runoff.
Just as an example, ten inches of snow can melt into one inch of water and it is already on soil, unlike rain. Obviously, the heavier snowfall, the more snowmelt. A quick temperature change can cause a significant amount of water on the soil around your home. If the water cannot flow away from your home’s foundation, it can ultimately enter your home.
Snowmelt flooding can damage the floors, walls, furniture and personal items in your basement. It also introduces potential water damage and mold in your basement as well.
Snowmelt Safety Tips:
- Shovel snow away from your home.
- Keep snow and ice buildup off drainage areas.
- Inspect basement walls for cracks.
- Check your roof for ice and snow buildup.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts.
- Clear snow from your roof to prevent buildups.
If you experience damage in your basement from snowmelt, SERVPRO® of North Oakland County can make it “Like it never even happened.” Our services to help restore a basement after flooding include:
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Move Outs and Contents Restoration
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Hard Floors Cleaning
SERVPRO® of North Oakland County is here to help! For more information on snowmelt flooding damage, call 248-439-1160.