If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (248) 439-1160

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What’s That Funny Smell?

7/27/2021 (Permalink)

Gas Burner Can You Recognize A Gas Problem Before It’s Too Late?

Many people assume that natural gas explosions are a thing of the past, back when regulations were not as strict as they are today.  However, the truth is that gas fires continue to occur at an alarming rate and, sadly, they often result in much more dire consequences than fire damage. 

You can prevent a gas fire in your beautiful Bingham Farms, Birmingham, & Bloomfield Hills home by recognizing the signs of a gas leak. 

Determine if Your Home Utilizes Natural Gas 

Before you learn the signs of a gas leak, you should determine which aspects of your home use natural gasses.  You may be at risk for a gas leak if any of the following appliances use the natural commodity: 

  • Oven 
  • Hot water heater 
  • AC unit 
  • Fireplace 
  • Dryer 
  • Heating system 

If any of your appliances run on gas, invest in gas detectors, and remain vigilant for signs of a gas leak. 

What to Do If You Suspect a Gas Leak 

A gas leak can quickly lead to a gas fire which can quickly lead to a gas explosion.  For this reason, it is imperative that you recognize the signs of a leak and take proper measures to prevent disaster: 

  • Check the stove:  If it is safe to do so, walk over to your stove to make sure all the burners are off. 
  • Open the doors and windows:  If you cannot find the source of the leak, open all the doors and windows to help the gasses escape. 
  • Do not flip any switches:  A light switch can cause a spark, which can cause an explosion.  Keep all the lights off if you suspect a gas leak. 
  • Shut off your gas meter:  If you do not know where your gas meter is located, now's the time to find it.  If you smell gasses, locate the meter, and turn it off. 

A gas fire can be extremely dangerous.  For this reason, the best thing you can do if you suspect a gas leak is to leave your home ASAP and call 911.  If a fire does occur, the SERVPRO of North Oakland County fire damage cleanup crew can help with the restoration process.  Call us today at 248-439-1160

Other News

View Recent Posts