What Can You Do Before A Thunderstorm Hits Oakland County?
Metro Detroit thunderstorms can be dangerous and one shouldn't take for granted. Every thunderstorm produces lightning and other hazardous weather conditions, which can include tornadoes, strong winds, hail, and flash flooding.
In Oakland County we tend to get a mix of heavy rain, lightning and fierce winds. Below are some fantastic tips to help you prepare on what to do before and during a thunderstorm.
What To Do Before A Thunderstorm:
- To begin preparing, you should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage during a severe thunderstorm.
- Postpone any outdoor activities.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard-top automobile (not a convertible).
- Remember, rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lightning. However, the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.
- Close any windows and secure outside doors.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives.
SERVPRO of North Oakland County urges each and every one of you to prepare before a thunderstorm comes, and whenever they do come, SERVPRO of North Oakland County will be there for you!